Tuesday, May 3, 2011

S.A.D.

I've never thought I was particularly affected by the weather. Maybe that's because I lived in California almost my entire life where there IS no weather (to speak of)....it's pretty much always sunny and even when it's not, it passes pretty quickly.

When I opened my eyes this morning I could see that the sky was grey, the light was flat and the temperature was probably cold. Honestly, I just wanted to pull the covers over my head and go back to sleep. I'm starting to think that I have S.A.D. (seasonal affect disorder)...or maybe I just WAS sad. Ugh. I don't even care that it's cold. I just want to see some blue sky and sun. The few days this spring that we've had sun I've been totally happy...and the other days...well, not so much.

It was cold, grey, drab all day. For a moment this afternoon it even looked like a tornado coming with strong gusting winds, dark skies and a cold wet cloud burst. And then, just before sunset, the clouds cleared out, the sky turned blue, and the temperature went up about 10 degrees. Go figure.

I never even picked up my camera today. Didn't seem like it was worth the effort. BUT...I did grab my cell phone to show the world that the snow IS melting, the sun DID shine for a split second and the hills ARE turning green. The only thing that has kept me from slitting my wrists (apart from the fact that I love life) is that I know how beautiful it's going to be when this odd weather finally moves on. Hope springs eternal, even if spring is failing miserably thus far.




Oh, and by the way, here is a handful of photos I shot out the window of the car on Saturday, which was one of those blue sky days that made me so happy. Enjoy them, they're probably the last photos of snowy mountains you'll be seeing for a while. I have to admit, those are some pretty spectacular mountains. 







3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I know how you feel! I could handle the snow through the winter months but when it kept coming...and coming...and coming... all through the spring is when it really got to me. Especially with little ones it a real drag. I'm hoping you get your spring SOON!

Susan Anderson said...

When we were first married, Dave and I lived in Chicago for three years. I was never a moody person, quite the reverse, but after three years I just couldn't take the months of grey skies. It was seriously getting me down. We moved.

I think growing up in California spoiled me.

"/

Jenny said...

Beautiful photos! Cheered me right up! Thanks for posting!