Monday, September 5, 2011

Laborless Day

Call me stupid, but I don't really get the whole Labor Day thing. OK, yes, of course, I understand its roots and all that, but it seems as though the holiday, like labor unions, has had its day and that day is passed. I mean, seriously, who even celebrates labor on Labor Day? (I guess my sister-in-law celebrated the END of labor that day one year, the day on which my niece arrived in this world...) If you ask the average school-age child these days, I'm sure they'll tell you that it's a day off from school which has just started, or the day before school starts, or a day to go shopping because Mom said there were great sales or something of that sort. It's not even a holiday that Hallmark or any of the other myriad greeting card companies or florists benefit from...therefore it doesn't even qualify as a real holiday, does it?

Anyway, to me, it's just another Monday, and perhaps one to stay away from anything having to do with shopping or crazy people on the road who are celebrating but don't have a clue what it is they're celebrating.

I'm perfectly happy to celebrate by doing absolutely nothing, except maybe watching the clouds float by...




... or the buck grazing on the greenery outside the window. 




Happy Laborless Day to one and to all!

1 comment:

Susan Anderson said...

I'll watch those clouds any day, Labor or otherwise!

=)