Monday, April 2, 2012

Gems of Truth

Twice each year, the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (and anyone else who cares to tune in) have the opportunity to hear from the prophet and other leaders of the church, in what is called General Conference. In five separate 2 hour sessions over a 2 day period, selected leaders speak on a variety of gospel-related topics. The most recent General Conference was this past weekend.

I always love listening to the talks of General Conference. They are uplifting, thoughtful, thought provoking, insightful, informative and calming. You don't have to be a member of the church to listen to or benefit from these talks. And, a side benefit is that you get to listen to the amazing Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing.

I have many "favorites" from the sessions this weekend. One thing for sure, though, is that my "favorites" can change over time depending on what's going on in my life. I often refer back to the talks at some later time and find new bits of wisdom, new gems to glean, new inspirations that fit my current circumstances.

One of my favorite talks from this weekend, though, was from Dieter F. Uchtdorf. In reference to "hating, gossiping, ignoring, ridiculing, holding grudges, wanting to cause harm",  his simple advice: "Please apply the following. Stop It!"

He went on to quote a bumper sticker he had seen, which truly was one of my favorite quotes of the weekend. It said "don't judge me because I sin differently than you". We could all take that advice, couldn't we?

These and many other gems of truth can be found by clicking HERE.

(Yes, I know...the photos are totally random...or maybe not. Maybe I feel like this horse, nibbling away at the little bits and pieces that nourish my soul.) ;)

2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

I loved that talk, too. He is definitely one of my favorite speakers.

=)

EG CameraGirl said...

I LOVE that bumper sticker!