Thursday, March 17, 2011

Do It Yourself

I love my kitchen. It's about as close to perfect as I can imagine. Our cabinet maker did an amazing job. The upper cabinets have openings on the doors that were intended to be filled with wire screen. The cabinets were all done and we weren't completely decided on what kind of screen we wanted, so we told him that we'd finish the doors ourselves. Robb is super talented and will have an easy time of completing the job.
Since we needed to go to Salt Lake to get my car serviced and run some errands, we also went to the place where they manufacture the wire screens. It's kind of an interesting place because they make everything from mesh that's finer than a kitchen sieve to extra heavy duty material used to sort boulders in rock quarries. I love industrial places and find them fascinating to visit - maybe because I've never had to work in one. Can't imagine what that would be like - not so good, I imagine. Anyway, I digress. 

It was interesting to watch the men weaving the wire mesh. They literally were working at looms, just like the kind of loom one would use to weave cloth, just much bigger and rougher. 

Needless to say, we ordered something in between. I'm excited for Robb to install it. It's going to look great.





2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Gotta love a guy who's handy around the house!

=)

VK said...

I am fascinated by how things are made. Never even thought about screens and wiring manufacturing before.
Great pictures.