Friday, January 7, 2011

Remembering Matt


I fell asleep on the couch last night. I'd never slept there before. When I awoke, the first morning light was just beginning to peek through the window. I lay on my back and stared at the outline of the lights above me and the corner of the window. It was lovely light, and although it was a sight unfamiliar to me, there was something very comfortable about it.

Today I learned of the sudden death of a young (much too young) friend. He was a smart, kind, gentle person...someone with great promise. His passing is a tremendous shock and loss to all those who knew him. When I think of him now, I imagine that he has awakened in a place unfamiliar yet comfortable too. It makes me smile in spite of my sorrow. We love you, Matt, and always will.

2 comments:

Viviana said...

Brook just lost a young friend to cancer... There is so much we do not understand at times. It is a good thing that through these experiences we learn and have the opportunity to look deep into our souls. Here is some wise comment: "When sore trials come upon us, it’s time to deepen our faith in God, to work hard, and to serve others. Then He will heal our broken hearts. He will bestow upon us personal peace and comfort. Those great gifts will not be destroyed, even by death." - RS Nelson -

Susan Anderson said...

What comforting thoughts, Anita. I filled my blog today with less comfortable ones, but I needed to vent. Afterward, reading your words, I was able to let the peace creep in.

Really lovely.

=)