Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A River Runs Through It

The easiest way to get to town is to travel down a deep rocky canyon with a river that runs alongside the road. I can't count the number of times I've wanted to kick myself for not having my camera with me. But not today. It was freezing cold and I had left the house later than planned but remembered to grab the camera as I dashed out the door.



The drive is about 30 minutes and the whole time I kept my eyes peeled waiting for that perfect scene to appear. But it wasn't happening. Although it was clear and blue at the house, as I dropped down in elevation it became apparent that there was an inversion in the valley below. The air was hazy and I could see that my imagined photo wasn't just going to present itself like a surprise gift.

Frustrated but determined not to give up, I decided to pull over as I approached the foot of the canyon to see if the river had anything to offer me. I walked back and forth a few times looking at the boulder laden stream below... nothing really grabbed me. Just the "usual" little waterfalls and rapids as the river tumbled downhill. None of the rich vibrant colors that had screamed at me in the fall.

I thought to myself, 'what the heck, I'm here; I might as well try to do something with the water rushing between the ice capped stones'. My fingers were stinging from the cold and I could barely push the shutter button. I grabbed a few shots but wasn't really satisfied that I had anything I'd like.

I should know better... sometimes I just have to put a little space between shooting and editing. Thankfully, today was no exception.

2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

These are almost other worldly, Anita. Really interesting shots.

=)

Nikki Nichols said...

Wow... I am amazed at how beautiful it is around you! I was reading your profile and was laughing, ever since I got my camera I really tend to look at life differently and i love getting it out everday and taking pics of nature people etc! now if your talent and eye could rub off on me a little!