Saturday, March 31, 2012

Finders Keepers, Part II


Congrats to Mrs. Jenny for her Saturday Centus Centennial celebration - 100 weeks of fun. For this week's prompt, she returned to the very same one she used on her inaugural posting. It's in red below. 

My entry, a fictional piece, picks up where I left off a couple Saturday's ago with a story of a woman whose ill fortune seemed to be changing for the better. This week, the story continues, but in her own words. To read my original post, click HERE. For my post for this week... read on...

I removed the new boots and set them carefully in the closet, tossed the old tired dress on the chair and changed into running clothes. Glancing once more at the precious pearls still on my ears, I quickly laced my shoes and dashed out the door. 

The annoying slap slap of a poorly tied shoelace forbade me to ignore it, finally interrupting my run only a short distance up the trail.

My untied shoelace changed my life. As I leaned down to re-tie it, I kicked away a few leaves. When I turned my head slightly to look where the leaves had been, I was astonished to see a rubber-banded wad of hundred dollar bills nestled in a little indention in the muddy ground. 



I felt the smile forming. First the boots, then the pearls. Now this. Things were finally about to change. No. Not true. Things actually had changed.


Be sure to stop by Mrs. Jenny's to see what the other Centusians did with that wad of $100s. Happy Anniversary, Mrs. Jenny. Thanks for keeping us busy for so many Saturdays.

9 comments:

21 Wits said...

Oh nicely done, smoothly written and so inviting for us to return and find out what next will happen. Great shoes too! I'm hoping for a happy ending!

Ames said...

It's like a kid finding a quarter in the space ship ride at the mall!!~Ames

Unknown said...

Dear Anita,
Lovely text! And I agree with Karen S.; well-written.
Sometimes I wish that would happen to me. But I would turn it in to the police' 'Lost and Found. Think of the poor soul who lost their money!
Hmm... that could be a story. Write about the looser and finish the text with the prompt. But then you would have to change the POV! Darn. Doesn't work with the prompt. Unless... (I just got an idea here...)
BTW, thank you for visiting and reading my post. You are first and get an extra link!

Best wishes,
Anna
For the benefit of other readers:
Anna's SC wk 100 - 'Shoe strings'

Judee said...

I like how you tie this in with the previous story. A real change in fortune. :)

Judie said...

Good one, Anita! I'm hoping my life will change sometime very soon!!

Viki said...

I love this addition to your other centus. I went and read the first one, sorry you lost the earrings but I'm sure something similar to what you wrote happened. I could only hope that the person also found some money somewhere LOL. Lovely centus.

Susan Anderson said...

Well done, Anita. I love how you so smoothly blended this with your earlier story, which also moved me.

=)

jfb57 said...

This has so many threads to it - brilliant! Could be taken off on so many directions.

Jenny said...

I think sometimes we forget that the bad times will pass.

This hopeful story made my heart smile!