Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sweet Dreams


Too much refined sugar (pretty much ANY refined sugar) does strange things to my body and mind. I'm one of those people who gets a spiky high - I lose all ability to concentrate and focus - and then within about 30 minutes I'm ready to crash. 



I'm also likely to have strange dreams after eating too many sweet things. Here's a possible scenario

I dream I'm driving down a dark road. Suddenly a sign looms ahead. "Exit 181, 1/2 mile ahead*", it says. I take the exit, only to find myself in front of an ice cream parlor filled with people. 


Garish pink lights like bright candy canes are suspended above the windows and an eerie green light glows from within. 


Inside there are bins of ice cream and candies in every imaginable color. 



I'm drawn to it all, like a moth to the flame. I look up and I see Robb across the room. He, too, is staring at the multitude of sweet things, a strange smile on his face. 

Stuffed bears sit on a shelf seeming to watch us, as if they know that we will succumb to the powerful draw of the sugary things.... Perhaps they know I will be just like them, unable to think for myself once I give in.











Suddenly I wake up, the sweet sticky taste of ice cream and candy, still lingering on my tongue



.
Yup, that's the kind of thing that happens when I have too much sugar. It's just better better better if I stay away from it all. 


*It's Saturday, time for Saturday Centus. For fun, check out my friend, Sue, to see what she did for hers. 

1 comment:

Susan Anderson said...

Great post, Anita! My only complaint is that you are making my lentish sugar fast a whole lot harder. Especially considering it's Dave's birthday today! (Although, selfishly, I did not make his favorite cake. I knew I couldn't resist it!)

=)