Friday, May 27, 2011

Drama-free Zone



I love our home. We decided from the start that we wanted it to be a place of peace and serenity where it feels safe and calm from the craziness of the world. For the most part, we've been able to pull that off and home is a great place to hang out. There are some days that drama drifts in uninvited, like a bad wind.

I'm not a huge Oprah fan, not because I don't like her, but just because I'm not a huge TV watcher and especially not during the daytime. Nonetheless, I respect Oprah and think she is a person who has done much good in the world.

We did tape her final show and watch it, and the two things she said/did that impressed me most were 1) her message that we are all responsible for ourselves and the choices we make and the energy we bring into a situation and 2) her acknowledgement of the existence and importance of God in her life. 

The first relates to what I've been thinking about today - when we don't own our choices, it's almost guaranteed to be drama in the making. My own experience tells me that the vast majority of poor choices we make in our lives are a direct result of not feeling worthy and not valuing who we are. A direct off-shoot of that is that we begin to feel like victims and to blame others for our unhappiness.

The second part - relating to God - is probably worthy of a posting of its own, if not a whole blog, but not today, other than to say that when we recognize and celebrate the existence of a loving God, we are far more apt to value ourselves and make choices which reflect that.

Now that the weather is finally changing and the landscape is turning rich shades of green, I love being here even more. The view, above, is what I saw from my kitchen window this morning. Not too bad. I'm not becoming a hermit, but I don't feel any great pull to leave and go into town. When I do need to go grocery shopping or run various errands, I'm always happy when I'm done and heading back home.

Our dogs are part of what makes home feel like home. They're pretty fun and I like that with them, like little children, there's no drama.  They just are who they are and they love you no matter what.

Albert is catching up to Jake in size and sometimes it's hard to tell them apart unless they are side by side.

That's Albert in the blue collar and this is Jake, peeking out from between my husband's feet as he gets his back scratched. 



2 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Great post, Anita. I feel much about Oprah as you do, but I did enjoy watching her last three days on TV.

I was particularly amazed by how many people she had educated, and it was stunning to see all of those young men walk through that auditorium holding candles.

Pretty neat.

=)

Anonymous said...

I believe we refer to that as a "Daddy Cave"

:)
Abigail